Friday, November 2, 2007

Yellow Yellow Yellow

The short days of winter are upon us. The time hasn't even changed yet and I am longing for sunshine. Maybe that is why I am having a fixation with yellow. It is still my favourite color. For my fifth birthday my mother asked me what I wanted, and I told her I wanted a new yellow party dress. Even at five I was quite particular. Yellow to me is happy, bright, optimistic. Interestingly enough it is the color that has the longest memory retention.



Who isn't attracted to the fist flushes of spring as indicated by tulips.Photography by David Duncan Livingston

This is one of my all time favourite rooms by Victoria Hagan. I love how she has layered yellow draperies on yellow walls.



Chinoiseries inspired wallpaper. Notice the matching fabric banding on the bottom of the draperies. If anyone knows the source for the wallpaper in this picture please let me know. Above 2 pictures Kelly Wearstler

This is a wonderful pendant lamp designed by Wis Design out of Sweden. The net of brass is reminiscent of a petticoat, which is concealed by the shade of plywood. The net twists around the bulb and creates a warm, golden, flowing light.





A beautiful "tessellation" tile

Credenza designed by the fabulous Tommi Parzinger for sale on 1st Dibs


Magnificent Directoire chairs. Picture via Studio Wellspring


I like the way Interior Design icon, Albert Hadley uses yellow as an accent color for furniture. The above is a room in his own home and the lower picture is his office.



David's Hicks's masterful use of bright acid yellow.


In this picture Jeffery Bilhuber uses a Raoul fabric for the sofa and draperies. I think it is particularly clever how he uses the Raoul fabric for the seat cushions and trim at the bottom of the sofa and upholsters the base of the sofa in a plain fabric. Brilliant Jeffery!



A beautiful all white kitchen with yellow accents. A bowl of lemons is an easy way to add a touch of yellow to the kitchen. Southern Accents In this room Interior Designer Jan Showers has used yellow as an accent color with sofa, lamp and artwork in an all white room.

Jeffery Bilhuber has used National Geographic magazines to get a pop of yellow into this warm and inviting sitting room.

Myra Hoefer Design

Another fantastic room by photographer David Duncan Livingston



What about getting some yellow by using wallpaper in your entry foyer? Designed by Suzanne Rheinstein
Gracie Studio Wallpaper

A beautiful and classic design by David Hicks. He uses yellow sofas and chairs in his design much the same way as Albert Hadley.

A wonderful yellow taffeta ball gown worn by Frances Elkins for her own portrait. Maybe she knew about the memorable qualities of the color yellow.

Please let me know what your favourite picture is.......
Patricia Gray writes about Interior Design inspirations, emerging trends, and the world of Design. While you're here, subscribe to this feed so you don't miss out.