Monday, November 3, 2008

Banquette Seat

image


This is a picture of the new banquette which was recently installed in the Breakfast Nook in my own kitchen. When I moved into my new home I decided to keep my antique Georgian chairs (which I have had for years and had previously used in a bedroom and a den) and reincarnate them in the kitchen.  I wanted to use white for the upholstery, and deliberated on finding the right fabric that would be user friendly and easy to maintain. I choose a soft washable leather and finished the bottom edge of the chairs with a antiqued nail head trim to keep with the period design.  I paired them with a contemporary Saarinen table, which highlights the backs of the chairs and makes them stand out like pieces of sculpture.  The Custom Banquette seat was designed to fit into the alcove and it is covered in the same washable leather.  The top corners of the banquette are scalloped to match the back of the chairs.  I like mixing different chairs around dining tables and not having them all match.  The trick is to find a common element that ties them together.  In this case it is the dark wood color that unifies them.  I also have Phillipe Stark Ghost chairs that I use when I need more seating around the table.  Ghost chairs are like a chameleon and work anywhere.  Banquette seats are very comfortable and they encourage lingering. Already this is a place that everyone gravitates to and wants to sit and talk long after a meal is finished. It is also one of my favourite spots to sit with a coffee and a good book.




Patricia Gray writes about Interior Design inspirations, emerging trends, and the world of Design. 
While you're here, subscribe to this feed so you don't miss out.